A cheap and fool proof recipe for making pancakes yourself, with lots of topping ideas.
Makes 7 or 8 pancakes depending on thickness.
- 100g plain flour
- 2 eggs
- 300ml semi-skimmed milk
- 1 tbsp. oil (plus extra for frying)
- a pinch of salt
- lemon and caster sugar (obviously!)
- strawberries, banana and nutella
- blueberries and syrup
- mango, greek yoghurt and honey
- ham and cheese (savoury but great!)
1. Put the flour and salt into a mixing bowl and make a well in the centre. Crack the eggs into the well, then pour in about 50ml milk and the tbsp of oil.
2. Whisk everything together to form a smooth thick paste.
3. Slowly whisk in the remaining milk. Continue pouring and whisking until you have a batter that is the consistency of slightly thick single cream.
4. Leave the batter for 30 minutes to allow the starch to swell. (This isn’t necessary but will give you time to prepare the toppings!)
5. Heat the pan over a moderate heat, then wipe it with oiled kitchen paper. Ladle some batter into the pan, tilting the pan to move the mixture around for a thin and even layer. Quickly pour any excess batter , return the pan to the heat, then leave to cook, undisturbed, for about 30 secs. If the pan is the right temperature, the pancake should turn golden underneath after about 30 secs and will be ready to flip. (note: if choosing a ham and cheese toping, pour grated cheese onto the pancake after the first flip to give it time to melt)