Thought I’d give carrot cake a go for my Sunday afternoon baking. This really works as an alternative if you don’t like nuts. Could also sprinkle candied lemon or orange, raisins or chocolate instead of fudge like I did.
Takes less than an hour from start to finish and makes 12 cupcakes.
For the cupcakes
- 100ml sunflower oil
- 150g self raising flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground ginger
- 150g dark muscovado sugar
- 175g grated carrot
- 2 medium eggs, beaten
For the icing
- 50g butter, softened
- 180g cream cheese
- 150g icing sugar
- 100g mini fudge chunks
- Preheat oven to 180C/ fan 200C /350F/Gas 4.
- Sift the flour, baking powder and spices into a clean mixing bowl. Add the sugar and grated carrots, then stir until well combined. Stir in the beaten eggs and oil, then mix well.
- Blend the mixture with a hand blender until there are no lumps of carrot remaining (or until the lumps are the desired consistency)
- Divide the cake mixture equally between 12 cupcake cases and place in a cupcake tin.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely before icing.
- For the icing, beat the butter in a large bowl until really softthen beat in the cream cheese. Sift in the icing sugar and beat until smooth.
- To ice, divide the icing equally between the 12 cupcakes. Use a the back of a spoon to smooth the icing over each cake (or use an piping bag if you prefer). Then sprinkle over the toffee topping on each one. It will stick without any force.